Website Ringwood Public Library
Position Title: Children’s Coordinator (PT)
Position Class: Library Support Position—Library Assistant
Salary Range: Shall be consistent with NJLA recommended starting salaries and above, commensurate with experience.
1. A Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university is preferred. An Associates Degree or 5-7 years experience working with Children in a library or early learning setting with progressively increasing responsibilities would be considered.
2. Shall enjoy working with children and excel at building program support among parents and caregivers.
3. Shall possess a demonstrated knowledge of computerized information services, online databases, social networking platforms and library automated systems.
4. Shall possess a demonstrated knowledge of computers (including mobile devices), basic computer programs and operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Office, and the G Suite.
5. Shall demonstrate creativity and innovation to enhance, initiate, and direct the operation of children’s services and programs both in a virtual and face-to-face format.
6. Shall assist the Youth Services Librarian in gathering usage statistics, patron feedback and community input to evaluate children’s programs, collection needs, and enrichment activities.
7. Shall possess good communication and interpersonal relations skills.
8. Shall be able to work independently.
9. Shall have or be willing to develop knowledge of library theory, principles, techniques, trends and developments in the library profession.
10. Shall have the ability to work harmoniously with patrons, staff and supervisors.
11. Bilingual Spanish-English preferred.
Works to provide library services to children, including: reader’s advisory, programming, community activities, and collection development; works with Youth Services Librarian to monitor and evaluate services to youth; promotes and publicizes the youth services program in the schools and the community; works collaboratively with senior staff to build support for the youth services programs in the community.
This is a regular part-time position of approximately 27hrs/wk including some nights and weekends. Standard holidays, paid vacation, and sick time provided in accordance with the library’s personnel policy. Ample opportunity for on-the-job mentoring, continuing education, and involvement with professional organizations is provided.
Special Working Conditions:
Work includes prolonged sitting, extended periods of standing, moderate (25 lbs) lifting, carrying, reaching (90 inch high shelves), stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pulling and pushing activities, manual dexterity, clear speech, visual and hearing acuity. Hazards are considered minor and controllable, but may include exposure to angry/hostile/disturbed patrons. The noise level is usually moderate. Must be able to transport one’s self to work-related meetings, workshops, conferences etc.
1. Shall be responsible for planning and executing, pre-school story time programs in accordance with New Jersey Department of Education Early Learning Standards.
2. Shall develop a regular schedule of evening and weekend Children’s programming and assist with special youth programming events.
3. Shall provide programs of enrichment in the areas of the arts including but not limited to: crafts, music and movement, and creative writing.
4. Shall assist with the preparation of displays and maintaining the overall safe, welcoming atmosphere of the Children’s Library.
5. Shall work in conjunction with the Youth Services Librarian in planning, implementing and publicizing Children’s programs and services.
6. Shall develop a working rapport with families and children in the community.
7. Shall provide orientation tours of library facilities and instructional presentations on the use of library resources to families and juvenile groups.
8. Shall assist juvenile patrons in the use of computers and other devices for accessing library resources.
9. Shall be responsible for shelf maintenance of the Children’s Collection.
10. Shall assist with coverage of the circulation desk as needed and other duties as assigned.
The Children’s Coordinator shall be under the supervision of the Youth Services Librarian.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com